26 February 2009

Thanks!

Text message from Brandon yesterday afternoon: "Well after 5 months and countless tears, it's time to celebrate. Janna was granted licensue by the state of Florida and will also get to keep her job...thank you for all your thoughts and prayers..." YAAAAAAY! Thanks again to all of you who kept us/them close to your thoughts!

I love reading lemondrop. It always has pretty entertaining articles; everything from "Spinsters and Single Ladies we Love" to "Things Guys Shouldn't Do in Public. Ever." Dude Dictionary also can hold it's own on the entertainment board.

This is what I read in the Dude Dictionary today:
Freeze Out, The (n.): This term refers to giving the finger to a relationship. You can enact the "freeze out" across all of your social networks -- online and otherwise. There are levels to it: Yellow alert is when you take him out of your top friends to send the message that you are definitely unhappy with him. Orange alert is when you delete him and set your profile to private. You might even delete a comment or two that he's written you because you don't want to see his stupid face anywhere on your profile page. A full-on red-alert freeze out is when you block his butt so that he can't ever access your info. You've gone dark, like a B-2 Bomber on a top secret mission, and he is forever bounced from the fun, awesome club.

This TOTALLY cracked me up because I know people who have done this...namely, me! Ok, I'll admit it. Whatever. Satisfying, sometimes. Stupid, maybe. Immature, absolutely. ;) Please note the last sentence: "...he is forever bounced from the fun, awesome club." Pahaha Another entry that is laughable is "P for Poo Face"

Not everything on their site is completely ludicrous. They also have an article today about an 8 year old girl who was married off to a 47 year old man. It bewilders me that this is allowed or acceptable in cultures. The run down of the story is that the girl's father married her off to settle his debts. The mother (who did not agree with this) took the case to the Saudi courts where they refused to annul the marriage. Their reasoning:

"A girl aged 10 or 12 can be married. Those who think
she's too young are wrong and they are being unfair to her."
Wow! Really?! All I can do is laugh when I think of who, no...what I may have married at 10 years old! YIPES! I probably would have been happy marrying my toy poodle at that age! Seriously, I can't BELIEVE that is their justification. And just what sort of debts did this "father" have that could only be settled by marrying off his 8 year old daughter?! Makes me sick for that poor girl who will undoubtedly be...we'll just say, taken advantage of & scared out of her mind for the rest of her life. Arranged marriage is one thing...marrying off a child who is not emotionally developed enough, not to mention biologically developed enough, to become a wife is quite another.

Stepping off my soap box now, I'm relieved to be done with my exams for the next 9 weeks. I get the next week off from classes then I start Quantitative Methods for Business and Labor Management Relations. Sounds exciting huh? Blah! Yeah-- don't be jealous!!! LoL



1 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

i should ask the hospital that daniel stayed in if they will forgive our debt for one of the girls, humm? no i think we'll keep um.

February 26, 2009 at 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home